Welcome to the Polycom Certified Videoconferencing Engineer (PCVE) program information page. This certification is considered an important element that proves efficiency of the candidate to perform implementation, configuration and troubleshooting operations on the Polycom Infrastructure. In addition, holding a PCVE certification validates the individual’s knowledge of networking models, standards and protocols relevant to videoconferencing.
Both elements verify that the individual has the knowledge and skills required by Polycom to offer support to the customer and end-user, understanding the information that should be gathered when escalating more complex problems.
Any individual with the requisite experience can take the test and if successful become PCVE certified. Polycom offers a wide range of training sessions to prepare the candidate to pass the PCVE exam for those who are new to videoconferencing and Polycom solutions.
The PCVE Exam
The PCVE exam is administered by a third party via an online proctoring solution. Students no longer need to travel to a testing facility and now complete the exam on line with a proctor watching over video.
The PCVE exams focuses on the Polycom Infrastructure with 70% of the questions testing candidates’ knowledge of implementation, configuration and troubleshooting for small to medium-sized environments. The remaining questions validate the candidates’ knowledge of networking models, protocols and standards relevant to videoconferencing.
Watch this 30 minute Video from the Polycom Training Team to prepare for the Polycom PCVE Exam. This informative recording provides information on how to register for the new exam, how best to prepare for the questions, configuration requirements and pre-system testing, and more about the benefits you can gain having achieved Polycom PCVE certification. You may also download the presentation for reference.
Registering for an exam:
1. Go to www.polycom.com/pcve-exam
2. Login or create a new account.
- Accounts are unique to this examination portal.
- Please use your username (email) from Polycom University to ensure proper crediting of your exam.
3. Set your Local Time Zone using the drop-down box. This affects scheduling choices.
4. Begin the registration process by clicking EXAM CATALOG and selecting Add to Cart (next to the Exam).
5. If you have a voucher, enter the voucher number in the Discount coupon box and click the refresh icon.
- You are required to enter Billing Information on the Payment screen even though the price is $0.00. You do not need to enter any Payment Options. Please do not enter ANY billing information on the Payment screen when using a voucher.
6. If you are paying for your exam, complete both the Billing Information and Payment Options sections.
Scheduling your exam:
1. Go to www.polycom.com/pcve-exam
2. Click MY EXAMS on the home page and your order for the test should be listed.
- It may take a few minutes for the test to populate on your MY EXAMS page, so you may need to refresh.
3. Select the Options button and Create Appointment.
4. Select the date and time for your online proctored exam.
- An email with further instructions on how to test your computer and be ready for your online proctored exam is sent once you select a date and time.
- For more information, see the FAQ section below.
Candidates are not required to attend training prior to attempting the exam. Should they wish to do so, we recommended the following courses:
- Fundamentals Series FSIT201
- RealPresence Platform: Implementation, Configuration & Troubleshooting (Level 2) RPIIT202
Candidates should be very familiar with the material when preparing for the exam. PDF files are available within the test application for reference only.
NOTE: The Table of Contents is usable for navigation however the search function is not available. Do not expect to search for key words and locate the answer, the material must be learned beforehand to be successful. All PDF files open in a separate window and might end up behind the main test application.
Exam domains include:
- Polycom Video Endpoints
- Collaboration Servers
- Management Applications
- Call Control & Signaling
- Enterprise Video Capture
- Firewall Traversal
Please reference the PCVE Exam Blueprint for more detailed objective information.
The certification remains valid for a period of two years, and Polycom updates the question bank at least once a year to reflect new releases. The updates are aligned with those applied to the Collaboration Infrastructure Installation, Configuration & Troubleshooting RPIIT202 course.
Upon successful completion of the exam you are entitled to use the PCVE award logo on your business card, CV, correspondence and social profiles for the next two years. Download your PCVE award logo for your personal use both online and in print here.
Is there a cost to take the PCVE exam?
The cost of the PCVE exam is $250 USD. Students who attend the five-day RPIIT202 course are issued a voucher for one free attempt of the PCVE exam. Any future attempts require payment.
What should I do with an unused Prometric voucher?
If you have an unused voucher with an expiration date on or after December 31, 2016, email your name, PolycomU username/email address, and the Prometric voucher number to firstname.lastname@example.org and a new voucher will be sent to you.
Is the PCVE purely based on passing a single multiple-choice exam?
How many questions are there?
80 questions randomly selected from a pool.
How long is the exam?
You have 100 minutes to answer 80 questions.
What score is required to pass the exam?
A score of 70% or higher is required to pass.
Who is eligible to attempt the exam?
Any individual who feels he or she has the requisite experience can simply take the test and if successful, become PCVE certified
Are there recommended courses available as preparation for the PCVE exam?
Polycom offers Collaboration Infrastructure Installation, Configuration & Troubleshooting RPIIT202, a five-day Instructor Led session, or Fundamentals Series FSIT201 which is a series of short eLearning modules.
Is there a charge for completing the Fundamentals Series FSIT201 eLearning modules?
No, the Fundamentals Series FSIT201 eLearning does not have any associated fees.
Will my existing PCVE certifications be valid for its original two-year period?
If I have any additional questions, who should I contact?
If you have additional questions regarding registration, please contact PolycomU@polycom.com.
If you have questions regarding PCVE online proctoring or technical issues while taking the exam, contact email@example.com